Toners are a type of hydrating water-based liquid that is used to prep the skin just before applying a moisturizer, and after cleansing. Toners are very important in the regular CTM (cleansing-toning-moisturizing) process of a skincare routine.
When used consistently, the best toner will work wonders in:
- Shrinking pores
- Promoting moisture retention
- Balancing your skin’s pH levels
- Making the skin supple and soft
- Brightening and freshening the skin
- Cleansing all traces of dirt and dead cells
- Evening out your skin’s overall texture and tone
- Enabling the skin to absorb the moisturizer effectively
- Reducing acne, redness, scaly skin, and premature aging
These skincare products can be incorporated into anyone’s skincare routine regardless of whether his/her skin is normal, dry, sensitive, oily, acne-prone, or combination skin.
Top 15 Toners Malaysia Offers for Different Skin Types
The toners Malaysia offers are the best products to help you manage all your skin issues. Whether you have oily or acne-prone skin, these unsung heroes of skincare are exactly what you need for your skin to appear flawless. With so many different toner brands in the market, you might feel a little overwhelmed when trying to find the perfect formulation for your skin type.
We did the due diligence for you and put together a list of the best toners Malaysia offers. We made sure that all of them actually work by trying each one of them and also listening to shoppers with different skin types. Read on to learn more and choose one that works for you.
The Laneige Essential Power Skin Refiner (Moisture) is rich in amino acids and minerals from Birch extract, and vitamin B3. It has a soothing formula that removes dead skin and softens the skin by providing nourishment to the face. On top of that, it helps keep acne in check and also has a calming effect on the face.
- Gentle on the skin
- Makes the skin moisturized inside and matt outside
- Plumps the skin because it’s full of moisture
- It may be used for both normal and dry skin
- Reduces acne scars
- Paraben and alcohol-free
- Not suitable for all skin types and skin issues
The soothing formula in Thayers Original Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera Astringent will help you reduce any redness that may be present on your troubled skin, making your skin softer and smoother. This astringent uses a blend of invigorating time-tested ingredients that are guaranteed to keep your complexion fresh.
- It’s safe and easy to use
- Tightens pores
- It may be used anytime throughout the day as a softening refresher
- Removes dirt and product buildup
- Reduces blemishes
- Can be very drying or the skin
- Not ideal for use if you have eczema or rosacea
Kiehl’s Calendula Herbal Extract Alcohol-Free Toner is a healthy, minimal, and effective toner that refreshes your skin by offering light hydration. This hypoallergenic toner does all this magic without being too harsh even on hypersensitive acne-prone skin.
- It’s alcohol-free
- It’s suitable for sensitive and irritated skin
- Soothes and improves problem areas
- Re-balances skin pH
- Cleans and preps the skin
- Not ideal for acne-prone skin
This is one of the best-selling toners for oily skin in Malaysia. The Pixi 5% Glycolic Acid Glow Tonic Moisturizing Oil-controlling Essence Toner is is extremely versatile and serves many purposes. It moisturizes the skin without making it greasy and leaves it re-texturized and refreshed throughout the day.
- Minimizes pores
- Improves skin elasticity
- Locks in moisture
- Protects the skin from oxidative damage
- Repairs wrinkles making you look flawless youthful
- Dry patches may appear on the skin
Are you looking to improve the appearance of your skin texture? Try the COSRX AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner. This toner can remove dead skin cells and help remove residue that often clogs up into pores. This toning solution offers mild chemical exfoliation to improve your skin’s radiance and clarity.
- Hydrates the skin
- Helps your skin look fresher and clearer
- Helps restore a healthy pH level
- Preps the skin for maximum moisturizer absorption
- Some users may experience a breakout
The Innisfree Blueberry Rebalancing Skin (Toner) helps soothe your skin while still balancing the oil production in the oil-prone areas. Additionally, this gentle toner provides a mild exfoliation to rid your skin of dead skin cells and traces of impurities.
- Effective in treating spots and blemishes
- Keeps the oil and moisture in check
- Helps decrease the angry acne pimples
- Suitable for sensitive skin as it’s not overly invasive on the skin
- Small percentage of users report breakouts
Infused with P-PEFINYL and FRUCTAN, this toner is without a doubt one of the best toners in Malaysia. The SOMEBYMI AHA-BHA-PHA 30 Days Miracle Toner helps your skin with its natural turnover and rejuvenation. And can we talk about how good this toner smells? The scent is absolutely divine!
- Removes dry, flaky skin
- Exfoliates and moisturizes the skin
- Dermatologically tested for sensitive skin
- Helps reduce oiliness and fight blemishes
- Treats hyperpigmentation
- Quite pricey
- Some people don’t like its whitening effect
This balancing toner certainly has to be on our list because it can solve almost all your skin troubles. It hydrates, nourishes, soothes, moisturizes, and balances skin pH levels. The Klairs Supple Preparation Unscented Toner is recommended for people who are sensitive to scent or simply anyone who prefers a natural oil scent.
- Works great with sensitive skin
- Rejuvenates and restores the skin
- Protects the skin
- Doesn’t cause any irritations
- Quite expensive
The Some By Mi Aha Bha Pha 30 Days Miracle Toner Anti-acne works as an effective exfoliator to leave your skin clearer and more radiant than before. If you have any skin problems such as acne, blemishes, hyperpigmentation, oiliness, dryness, you’ll see improvement a few weeks after you start using this product.
- Pocket-friendly price
- For all skin types
- Has anti-acne action
- Doesn’t clog pores
- You can use it to remove your makeup
- May irritate sensitive skin
See your complexion improve with the WARDAH Lightening Face Toner. With regular use, it lightens your skin giving it a tighter and refined appearance. Like most good toners, this one too is an absolutely amazing skin savior especially for skin prone to acne with enlarged pores.
- Relatively cheap
- Refreshes the skin
- Makes the skin bright
- Restores the skin’s pH balance
- Not suitable for acne-prone skin
The COSMODERM Tea Tree Oil Clarifying Toning Lotion repairs and restores clarity and luminescence to your skin. Its light texture makes it easy for you to apply subsequent products and it doesn’t cause excess sebum production due to overexposure to the sun. This toner may double up as a hydrating lotion and smells super refreshing too.
- Very affordable
- Removes oil that clogs pores
- Provides hydration
- Recommended for both men and women
- Overuse can lead to irritation
The NUTOX Astringent Toner has gentle astringent action that helps remove bacteria associated with acne formation and also reduces sebum formation to keep your skin feeling clean. What’s even more special about this astringent toner is that it may be used to temporarily relieve minor aches as well as muscle and joint aches associated with rheumatism.
- Reasonably priced
- Tightens pores
- Soothes and relieves itching
- Protects skin against signs of aging
- Helps exfoliate the dead skin layer
- Not suitable for sensitive skin
Feel clean and refreshed with the LOreal Paris White Perfect / Aura Perfect Toner. The gentle formulation found in this toner makes it suitable even for sensitive skin types. It works deep into pores to help prevent excessive oil buildup and ultimately prevents acne.
- Absorbs quickly
- Effective in treating spots and blemishes
- Effectively absorbs excess oil without stripping away essential moisture
- No smaller packaging
The Garnier Pure Active Multi-Action Toner replenishes hydration and moisture to your skin, it will feel supple when you follow up with your moisturizer. At a really reasonable price, this toner by Garnier ensures that your skin is thoroughly cleaned of impurities and air pollutants.
- Very affordable
- Helps soothe irritated skin
- Makes the skin soft and smooth
- Removes dead skin cells and impurities
- May not suit acne-prone skin
To close our list of the best toners in Malaysia, we introduce the BIOAQUA VC Facial Toner Vitamin C Essence Moisturizing Toner. It helps soften the skin by moisturizing it from within to create the perfect canvas to start your skincare routine. On top of that, it removes stubborn impurities and restores the skin’s pH levels.
- Very cheap
- Soothes irritated skin
- Improves skin elasticity
- Moisturizes and refreshes the skin
- Can cause discomfort if used with the wrong skin type
Guide On How To Choose The Right Toner
Our skin types are different so the toner that works best on someone else’s skin might not necessarily work best for you. Choosing the right toner Malaysia has ensures that your skin stays healthy and polished, and is very important in your journey towards better skincare. Remember that great skin is not just about genetics. It’s highly affected by our daily habits and these are very personal.
The toner you choose should depend on several factors such as:
1. Your Skincare Goals
We all wish to keep our skin looking and feeling its best. This means that you need to create a strong foundation for your basic skincare routine.
While some people are lucky enough to find the perfect toner with the first trial, others take a while longer. We advise that you keep looking until you get satisfactory results.
If you aren’t sure of the outcome of a certain toner and are worried that you could react badly, apply a small amount on another area of your body (not your face) and see what happens. If the toner seems to work well on your skin, you can go ahead and use it on your face.
Lastly, you need to give your skin some time before you can get the results you’re looking for. There is no instant fix. You’ll have to wait about a month with consistent use before you can start reaping the benefits.
2. Your Skin Type
Know your skin type! If you wish to maximize the effectiveness of your toner, you ought to pay attention to what your skin type is. After that, you can provide it with the right care.
The main skin types are:
- Normal skin
- Dry skin
- Sensitive skin
- Combination skin
- Acne-prone skin
Regardless of the skin type, find a toner that keeps your skin functioning at its best and tunes up your complexion. Toners that are one-size-fits-all rarely work because the skin needs tailored products and solutions. Which skin type do you have?
If your skin is on the drier side, choose a toner with hydrating properties like coconut water. This will help rehydrate your skin and keep elasticity in check. And like we had mentioned earlier, make sure you steer clear of alcohol-based toners but choose a hydrating toner enriched with cucumber extract or one that has a cream base.
If you have oily skin, choose a toner that doesn’t feel heavy or stick to your skin. The best toner Malaysia has for you is one that contains oil-free ingredients.
Those with sensitive skin should opt for toners that are enriched with ingredients like salicylic acid and avoid those with sulfates or parabens.
If you have acne-prone skin, incorporate alcohol-free toners with alpha-hydroxy acid in your routine. AHA gently exfoliates your skin, leaving it clean and glowing without causing flaking.
3. Toner Ingredients
Depending on your skin type, choose a toner that’s filled with ingredients that will pamper and treat your skin. After you have started using a particular toner, observe your skin’s response to it and then decide whether or not to continue using it.
Vitamin C and E fight daily exposure to free radicals that can age your skin. Ingredients like salicylic acid help in gently exfoliating your skin. This is a very important process regardless of your skin type as it improves sun-damaged skin and minimizes dullness. Alpha- or beta-hydroxy acids and sulfur are also exfoliating ingredients that help clear pores and reduce oil production.
Since you don’t want a formula that over-dries or irritates your skin, try some calming ingredients that help soothe your skin and reduce redness. Ingredients with an anti-inflammatory effect include aloe vera, green tea, rose water, and niacinamide. Hyaluronic acid boosts hydration by sealing in dewiness and plumps skin to subtly treat fine lines.
Avoid toners that contain mineral oil as this could be clogging your skin. You should also be careful with alcohol and witch hazel, especially if you have dry skin. Avoid any toning product that has these in super high concentrations.
Using a toner right after cleansing and before moisturizing is essential if you’re looking to get a flawless and naturally glowing complexion. We think there’s a toner out there for every skin type. Choose a toner from any of the 15 we listed above and give your skin the nourishment it deserves.
If you’re looking to give your skin a dewy glow and a smoother complexion, you cannot go wrong with the Laneige Essential Power Skin Refiner (Moisture) – Skincare Moisturizing Toner for Dry Skin which is reliable and recommended by dermatologists across the globe. It feels instantly cooling and works as a spot treatment too.
For a pocket-friendly option, we recommend the COSMODERM Tea Tree Oil Clarifying Toning Lotion which tamps down excessive oil.
Prepare to be amazed at how well these two toners work. Leave a comment if you think there’s another toner that should be on this list!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do toners help our skin?
Toners remove any last traces of dirt and impurities that might be stuck in the pores of our skin. This helps restore the skin pH level, improve the skin tone, and smoothen the skin by refining the rough patches. Another way that toners help our skin is by closing pores and tightening cell gaps, preventing contaminants from penetrating the skin.
2. Are toners needed for daily use?
Yes, toners may be used daily. Using a toner daily is the only way to achieve flawless skin.
Ideally, you should use it twice a day (morning and night) after cleansing. This is applicable only if your skin can tolerate the formulation. However, if you have dry or easily irritated skin, use the toner once daily or every other day.
3. Toners for different skin types
Overall, there are 3 different types of toners that may be used across different skin types:
- Hydrating toners. These contain humectants like hyaluronic acid or glycerin. They’re gentle skin products that give the skin a quick boost of hydration and refreshment.
- Exfoliating toners. These toners contain a type of hydroxy acid or fruit enzymes. They get rid of the dead skin cells on the top layer of the skin, minimizing flakiness, dullness, and roughness on the skin.
- Treatment toners. These contain potent active ingredients and are more targeted to solve specific skin problems. They may be categorized as anti-aging, soothing, brightening, balancing toners, etc.