Do you struggle with oily skin? The overproduction of sebum by your sebaceous glands causes oily skin. Stress, hormonal fluctuations, pollution, poor diet, and inappropriate skincare can all contribute to excessive sebum production.
Knowing what your skin needs will help you make the right skin care decisions. Cleansers and moisturizers are the most important skincare products for all types of skin. Adding oil to your skin actually helps to balance sebum production (your skin’s natural oils) so that you can stay shine-free. Unfortunately, it’s highly likely that you’ll feel overwhelmed when you want to buy moisturizers for oily skin because different brands are producing them regularly.
The best moisturizer for oily skin will properly balance and nourish, without clogging pores or leaving your skin feeling greasy. Below are our top picks on the best moisturizer for oily skin Malaysia.
- Best Moisturizers for Oily Skin Malaysia – Top 12
- 1. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
- 2. The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA Moisturizer
- 3. CETAPHIL Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF15
- 4. CLINELLE Purifying Gel Moisturizer
- 5. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream
- 6. La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo Moisturizer
- 7. SIMPLE Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturizer
- 8. AIKEN Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer
- 9. Laneige Perfect Renew Emulsion
- 10. Hada Labo Hydrating Light Cream
- 11. Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer
- 12. LANEIGE Water Bank Hydro Cream
- Important Ingredients You Need in a Moisturizer for Oily Skin
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Moisturizers for Oily Skin Malaysia – Top 12
Here is our list of the 12 best moisturizers for oily skin Malaysia;
1. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
The Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel is a cooling water-gel moisturizer with a unique Hyaluronic Gel Matrix that helps to lock in intense hydration instantly. The gel matrix also aids in the constant release of moisture to your skin as needed throughout the day. This best-selling water gel formula absorbs quickly and instantly delivers intense hydration.
Clinically proven to revitalize and restore your skin’s moisture barrier overnight, you will wake up to smooth skin that is 3 times more hydrated. It is quite affordable and has no harsh chemicals involved to get the job done.
- Enhances the skin’s natural Hyaluronic Acid
- Boosts hydration for smooth, supple skin all-day
- Helps in the repairing and reinforcing the skin’s barrier
- Improves the skin’s translucency, firmness, smoothness, and plumpness for a natural healthy glow that lasts
- Some feel that the price is too steep
- Tends to be sticky
2. The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA Moisturizer
We’ve all experienced oily skin and acne breakouts at some point in our lives. If you notice too much oil accumulation on your skin, a lightweight moisturizer like The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA Moisturizer can be a good option. This formula offers non-greasy hydration that acts as a direct topical supplement of impaired NMF components.
The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA Moisturizer contains 11 amino acids that are naturally present in the skin. It comes with Natural Moisturizing Factors (NMF) elements that keep the outer layer of the skin protected and well-hydrated. The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA Moisturizer offers immediate and long-lasting hydration and protects the skin against moisture loss.
- Cruelty-free and has a PH of 6.5-7.0
- Replenish lost moisture
- Maintains a healthy-looking skin
- Provides enhanced barrier support to your skin
- Lightweight and non-greasy
- Quite costly
3. CETAPHIL Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF15
Protect your oily skin with this SPF 15 Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer, a three-in-one facial moisturizer that hydrates, nourishes, and protects sensitive skin. This oily skin moisturizer does not feel greasy on skin and focuses on nourishment and hydration. As a plus, it offers UV ray protection. Daily use of this SPF 15 moisturizer improves your skin’s ability to retain vital moisture.
The CETAPHIL Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15 sunscreen is made using Cetaphil’s micro pearl technology which aids in reducing the shine on your face and gives you that matte finish. It is also recommended for people with sensitive skin because it is fragrance-free.
- Fast absorbing and lightweight formula
- Clinically tested hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic (won’t irritate the skin or clog pores)
- SPF 15 shields your skin from the UVA and UVB radiation of the sun.
- Restores and improves your skin’s ability to retain vital moisture
- It is expensive
4. CLINELLE Purifying Gel Moisturizer
Feel the cooling effect of this lightweight moisturizer that effectively clears skin and prevents pimples. The CLINELLE Purifying Gel Moisturizer contains natural moisturizing factors, which keep your oily skin hydrated throughout the day.
This Clinelle moisturizer solution is quickly absorbed by your skin, leaving your skin with a matte appearance. It also aids in the speedy healing of scars and the calming of irritated skin.
- Ultra-light formula to fight excess skin oil and fight blemishes
- Contains Phellinus Linteus to boost skin immunity
- Silicone-free, alcohol-free
- Minimizes pimple scars
5. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream
With 24-hour protection, Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream is the perfect moisturizer for those long days. This popular moisturizer was created to draw and absorb moisture from the air to provide all-day-long comfort.
This luxurious formula leaves your oily skin smooth, soft, and healthy-looking. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream has an ultra-lightweight texture for instant and long-lasting hydration.
- Calms skin with a cooling effect
- Absorbs into the skin easily with an ultra-lightweight texture
- Provides instant and long-lasting hydration for 24 hours
- Blended with olive to strengthen skin’s moisture barrier for a glowing and hydrated skin
- Fairly expensive
6. La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo Moisturizer
The La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo Moisturizer is a hydrating moisturizer and spot treatment that targets blemishes while also hydrating the skin. It’s a pimple cream with two key functions. This product exfoliates dead skin cells and extricates excess sebum. Apart from its cleansing efforts, it zones in on skin flaws and encourages cell renewal.
This is a specially developed moisturizer for oily skin that helps to reduce shine and protect the skin from developing pesky red and brown colored marks. This acne spot moisturizer contains 5.5 % micronized benzoyl peroxide and micro-exfoliating lipo-hydroxy acid, which gives you quick and visible results.
- An anti-blemish moisturizer that corrects and hydrates oily skin
- Reduces spots and help control the shine
- Helps remove excess sebum and reopen clogged pores
7. SIMPLE Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturizer
Searching for a moisturizer that leaves your skin feeling soft without clogging your pores? The SIMPLE Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturizer takes care of your skin without making you feel like it’s weighing it down. It keeps your skin feeling refreshed, replenished, and hydrated for up to 12 hours.
This moisturizer is formulated to ensure instant hydration and is enriched with pro-vitamin B5 and vitamin E. Best for oily skin, SIMPLE Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturizer is carefully crafted with multi-vitamins to keep your skin moisturized and pampered for 12 hours.
- Feels light and is absorbed quickly
- No artificial perfumes, colors, alcohol, or harsh chemicals
- Provides adequate moisturization for up to 12 hours
- Feels a little oily during application
8. AIKEN Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer
AIKEN Tea Tree Oil Moisturizer is a lightweight, oil-free water-based solution that contains tea tree oil to help safeguard the skin from pimples naturally. This moisturizer is specifically formulated to target skin that is prone to breakouts and works to take away excess oill.
This moisturizer is formulated at skin pH level and this helps to soothe and hydrate the skin leaving it feeling fresh and soft.
- Protects skin from acne
- Offers UV protection
- Removes excess oil and refines pores
- Soothes and hydrates skin
- Light, oil-free water-based formulation
- The smell may not be favorable to everyone
9. Laneige Perfect Renew Emulsion
Are you looking for a fast anti-aging solution? Laneige Perfect Renew Emulsion is the perfect solution for you! This anti-aging formula deeply nourishes the skin to make it bouncy and radiant. It also helps to boost your skin’s energy and firmness.
Laneige Perfect Renew Emulsion contains sunflower seed oil which is rich in essential fatty acids required to nourish the skin, making it soft and supple. The emulsion melts into your skin, imitating the skin barrier and thoroughly moisturizing your skin.
- Skin energy supply
- Strengthening elasticity
- Lightly hydrating moisturizer for all skin types
- Has a notable mix of anti-inflammatory agents, antioxidants, and other skin-repairing ingredients
- A clear packaging that allows the light-sensitive antioxidants to break down more quickly
10. Hada Labo Hydrating Light Cream
With hyaluronic acid as the key component, this lightweight moisturizer promises to give wonderfully hydrated, soft and supple skin. Hada Labo Hydrating Light Cream has a light texture that applies smoothly and absorbs rapidly to provide an immediate boost of comfort.
Hada Labo Hydrating Light Cream comes with 4 types of hyaluronic acid and shea butter to deliver intense moisture and nourishment to your skin. The shea butter forms a protective moisture barrier to protect the skin and delivers intensive moisture, leaving the skin feeling soft.
- Deeply hydrates the skin
- Forms a protective moisture barrier
- Helps to rebalance skin tone, restore skin evenness and promote a healthy radiant complexion
11. Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer
Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer delivers powerful results without heaviness. It is a light, anti-aging moisturizer for firming up the skin and reducing the visibility of wrinkles. It is uniquely whipped with moisture to transform from cream to liquid on the skin for fast absorption.
The Olay Regenerist Whip Face Moisturizer actively hydrates to improve your skin texture and give you that glow. It is mostly designed for the areas most prone to aging for example the eyes, jawline, and neck.
- Powerful with a light as air finish
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Absorbs instantly
- Weightless formula
- Leaves a breathable feel without compromising potency
- It doesn’t have SPF protection
12. LANEIGE Water Bank Hydro Cream
The LANEIGE Water Bank Hydro Cream is a deep hydration cream that uses Green Mineral Water to replace the skin’s moisture and create a 24-hour moisture barrier. Its lightweight nature helps to control excessive sebum and oil production. The LANEIGE Water Bank Hydro Cream creates a moisturizing, refreshing moisture film that locks in the moisture for 24-hour moisture retention.
This moisturizer was created as a result of 25 years of moisturizing research and extraction of Green Mineral Water. This top-notch product helps to increase the skin’s moisture content to 153% and lowers the skin’s temperature by 2.4 degrees Celsius.
- Uses water-zipper technology to help retain moisture for long
- Provides antioxidants benefits
- It is lightweight
- Highly fragrant
Important Ingredients You Need in a Moisturizer for Oily Skin
Oily skin can be frustrating to deal with, but all you need is the right products. Getting a natural glow and supple skin can be possible after you’ve found the right moisturizer. The secret to moisturizing oily skin without adding extra oil from other products is to keep it hydrated.
Below are some of the important ingredients needed to moisturize for oily skin.
- Hyaluronic Acid
Hyaluronic acid is a common ingredient in moisturizers and serums that increase the moisture level in your oily skin. Even though it may sound counterproductive to your battle against excess oil, it is actually just as important to moisturize oily skin as it is to moisturize dry skin. Hyaluronic acid is also naturally produced by your skin to help retain water, however as you continue to age, you start to lose the hyaluronic acid in your skin making it more likely to dry out.
As an important ingredient in any moisturizer, hyaluronic acid can help restore your skin’s natural ability to hold moisture and appear soft even as you age. It retains natural moisture and prevents water loss.
Niacinamide is another great ingredient in moisturizers for oily skin. A derivative of Vitamin B3, niacinamide supports the barrier function of the skin by locking in moisture. Vitamin B3 supports proper digestive function, improves circulation, the functioning of the nervous system, healthy skin, hair and eyes, and healthy liver. It also stimulates the skin’s rate of surface renewal and aids damaged skin cells.
Niacinamide supports your epidermal lipid barrier performance, which locks in the natural moisture and keeps your oily skin hydrated and protected from harsh environmental factors. A healthy lipid barrier helps retain your skin’s moisture, which controls and regulates the natural production of oil.
People with oily skin should avoid any moisturizer that has ingredients that can clog pores, such as mineral oil and petrolatum. Oil-free moisturizers often use dimethicone as a great alternative because it mimics the properties in oils but leaves your skin dry and smooth after using it.
Dimethicone is a synthetic polymer of silicon and emollient that works to improve the softness of the skin by sealing the spaces between the superficial dead skin of the stratum corneum. In several studies, dimethicone has proven to be an effective skin barrier against irritants, thereby preventing oily skin from developing conditions like eczema and dermatitis. In moisturizers, it can be used to treat skin by preventing water loss.
Treat your oily skin with the best moisturizer for oily skin Malaysia has to offer. Moisturizers give your skin a more youthful appearance and make you feel more comfortable. Take note of what your skin needs and make your purchasing decisions accordingly. That being said, you can use this article as a guide to finding the best moisturizer for oily skin.
An affordable option would be the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel as it is cheap and will still serve the purpose of a moisturizer. For those looking for a convenient moisturizer for oily skin as a result of environmental stressors, The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA Moisturizer is the option for you!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does moisturizer help our skin and how?
Moisturizing is crucial for maintaining the health of your skin cells, and overall texture of your skin. By moisturizing your skin, you are helping it retain moisture and protecting it from skin problems that may arise.
- Is moisturizer something you need to use daily?
Yes, using a daily moisturizer should be part of your skincare routine when you wake up and before you go to bed. Hydrated skin looks so fresh; it glows and will help you to look and feel younger.
- Are there moisturizers for different skin types?
In the market, you will find three types of moisturizers; water-based, oil-based, and occlusive moisturizers. You choose your best moisturizer based on your skin type; dry, oily, mature, and sensitive.