No matter if you are using it to warm up coffee that has turned cold or to defrost food to prepare a meal, the microwave oven has become one of the most convenient and essential kitchen appliances. Homemakers, as well as professional cooks, depend on it.
A microwave oven is easy to use. What’s great is you don’t have to preheat it like the standard ovens. This helps in saving energy. In fact, you will find some incredible recipes to prepare in a microwave that you might not otherwise think of cooking, such as seafood, chocolate fudge, or spaghetti.
Present, microwaves come with more features than you know. It contains features for grilling, convection cooking, steaming, and more. Also, they are available in a large range of sizes and forms. From small ones designed to be placed over the countertop to larger ones to be mounted over the cooking range, you will find it all.
In case you are planning to get the best microwave oven Malaysia and don’t know where to start, this microwave oven Malaysia review will guide you. Here, you will learn about the top picks that will help you find the best microwave oven for your cooking needs.
There are various things that you need to take into account when you buy a microwave oven. Starting from the types of microwave ovens available to the features included, you have to weigh them all. In this section, you can go over all the details.
Types of Microwave Ovens Available
There are different types of microwaves in the market today. Below are the main types of microwave ovens available.
section, you can go over all the details.
The best microwave location placement is placing it on the counter.
- You will get an inexpensive but quality microwave that sits on a counter.
- You can move it around the kitchen and place it wherever you want.
- It isn’t the best placement as it is quite low and takes up a lot of counter space.
Microwaves that are hood-mounted above the stove is the ideal placement location as it is often wasted space.
- Makes use of the wasted space.
- The machine is at eye level.
- These are expensive.
- You might need help installing.
3. Under Counter
Another design is to mount below the upper cabinet. So, it hangs or is suspended from the upper cabinets.
- It keeps the countertop clean.
- Makes it difficult to access as the microwave oven drops down really low.
It is one of the most popular microwave locations in present times and you can only get this when you are renovating a kitchen.
- You can put it at any height you please.
- Doesn’t take any countertop space.
- Can only be achieved in a newly designed or a renovated kitchen.
A microwave drawer is designed to fit into the Kitchen Island or lower cabinet. This ensures you have cleaner counter space and modern ascetic.
- You have additional countertop space.
- It is modern, sleek, and stylish.
- The microwave drawer is safer to use and easier to access.
- Requires assistance for installation.
- Doesn’t have a convection cooking feature.
6. Microwave Convection Oven
A convection oven can cook food as it blows hot air around the food. It includes all the cooking options of grill and solo and can also bake foods.
- Apart from cooking popcorn, it can also make chicken and pizza.
- Comes with various features and offers smart cooking.
- It can be placed in varied locations.
- Price tends to be higher than regular microwaves.
Top Features of a Microwave
These days, the microwave oven comes with a wide range of features just to simplify the cooking process. So, prior to choosing an oven, you need to ensure it has all the must-have features.
This feature comes with preset programs for simplifying the preparation of different recipes. Once you choose the type of dish code along with its weight, the oven is automatically going to set the cooking time and power.
Premium microwaves have this feature that lets you cook various meals without having to set the power level or the timer.
A microwave that has a defrosted preset option will choose the power level and will set the time for defrosting the food. So, you just have to choose the weight and type of the food and the oven is going to take care of the rest.
Instant Cook Button
Microwaves that come with this feature will cook your food instantly with just the touch of a button. The oven is going to take care of the rest. With this instant cook button, you can choose different types of dishes.
Microwaves that come with a sensor can detect the weight of the item you are going to cook and set the power accordingly. This feature proves to be very helpful for amateur cooks.
Modern-day microwaves come with an industrial-looking handle. While there are others that come with a curved handle. Also, you will come across a few that don’t have a specific handle. The top edge of the microwave door is carved out for you to open and close.
Use the defrost function for unfreezing the food. If you use the auto defrost, insert the weight of the frozen weight and the oven is going to set the best program. You will also be able to set the mode manually by choosing the time and power level, on the basis of the weight of the food.
The convection feature can perform all types of functions of a solo oven but also comes with some additional features. It can bake, grill, brown, roast, and also crisp food. In case you depend on the microwave more than just simple reheating, the convection feature is just for you.
In case you have notorious and curious children at home, it is better to make sure that your microwave comes with a child-lock system.
Interlocks in the microwave add another layer of security by making sure that the appliance does not run until you close the door. A majority of the ovens come with two interlocking features. There is one as a backup if the first one fails.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a New Microwave Oven
When it comes to purchasing a microwave, there are a few factors that you need to consider. Here are some of the most important factors that you should consider before you find the best microwave Malaysia for you.
The microwave that you are choosing should fit into your kitchen. In case you are concerned about the aesthetics, you should think about how it is going to look with other things around it. For instance, if you are replacing a built-in microwave, you have to look for something that will fit in the space. Check the dimensions of the microwave that you are replacing and look for a unit that will match.
Do not just purchase a microwave you see and like, take some time to make sure it will fit and work well in the kitchen.
A majority of the microwaves come with a 1-year warranty. However, there are few that have extended coverage for magnetron parts. Even though a good microwave needs to be well beyond the 1-year warranty period, check the fine print prior to purchasing to know what is covered and for how long.
The capacity of a microwave is measured in cubic feet. Generally, the more cubic feet, the bigger the microwave. You will come across microwaves that are as small as 0.5 cubic feet, while the largest models measure 2 cubic feet.
However, it might be difficult to decide if the microwave will cater to your needs based on just cubic feet. So, a better measurement that you need to pay attention to is the turntable and interior.
Even the most durable oven comes with a shelf life of somewhere about 10-12 years. The average lifespan of an oven stands at 9. Hence, you have to find a microwave that is going to last as long as possible. Read the reviews you come across to find the model you are considering. Chances are you are going to replace the microwave some way or the other. Thus, it makes sense to focus on the decision based on other features than durability.
Your choice also depends on where you plan to keep your microwave. There are different microwaves for different locations. So, make sure you choose what is ideal for the location.
An oven’s power is measured in watts. So, the higher is the wattage, the more will be the power of the oven. More power means, the microwave oven will cook your food evenly and much quicker. A majority of the microwaves available are equipped with between 500-1000 watts of power. So, you need to decide how you plan on using the appliance.
Usually, people prefer a microwave with 700 watts since models are affordable and cook meals, popcorn, and other items efficiently. But, if you plan on heavy-duty cooking, you will need a model with 1000 watts of power.
Apart from the standard keys to manually enter the time and start and stop the microwave, a majority of the models are equipped with controls for pre-programmed cooking times on the basis of what you are cooking.
You will find a setting that lets you cook items such as potatoes, popcorn, and many more. There are also settings for chocolates, melting butter, and defrosting various items.
A few microwaves have steaming, grilling, and convection cooking capabilities. Microwaves that come with additional cooking functions usually cost more than those that come without these features.
The grill function sears the outside of food. Convection microwave uses the technology as the oven counterparts. Convection microwave can crisp food like a conventional oven.
The price of microwaves varies. Its cost is determined by the style, size, and features. Specialty microwaves like drawer styles and built-in and those with convection cooking cost more. So, the more features and power the microwave has, the more it is going to cost.
If you want the microwave oven to match your kitchen décor, you need to pay attention to its style. So, there are traditional bench-top microwaves, combination microwaves, steam microwaves, intervener microwaves, and convection microwaves. You need to get the one that you think is suitable for you.
Whether you are purchasing the microwave oven from an online or offline store, you need to make sure it is reliable and reputable. Read what the previous customers have to say about the store. In case it is an eCommerce store, you will find many online review forums. Offline stores also have customer reviews online. If customers have bad things to say about the store such as not complying with the replacement policy or rude salesperson, avoid buying from them. You should always look for a store that has good customer service. After-sales service is what matters the most.
A few microwaves come with sensors that customize the cooking time and power level, automatically based on the moisture content of the food. The sensors prevent uneven or overcooking.
Over-the-range ovens might come with venting features. This proves to be helpful if you cook on the stovetop and want to remove the smoke or odors from the kitchen.
Apart from the drawer-style models, all microwaves come with a turntable. They move side-to-side, rectangular, or circle. It is for more even cooking.
Now that you know how and what to choose; let’s take a look at the list of the top 13 best microwave oven in Malaysia.
List of the Items
1. Samsung 28L Convection Microwave Oven
This model is one of the most advanced microwaves available in Malaysia. It comes with Healthy Steam and HotBlast technology. It has 16 programs for easy and quick cooking. This covers everything from grilled salmon to brown rice.
- Eco mode lets you save 40% standby energy consumption.
- Comes with a deodorization function that removes bad odor.
- The ceramic interior has antibacterial properties.
- Healthy steam and HotBlast technology help with cooking.
- Plate warming functions keep dishes warm for about 5 minutes.
- Its complexity makes it a little difficult to use.
2. Panasonic Microwave Oven
This is a microwave with grill function with 3 more set programs. It has 9 auto menus including fish, bread, potatoes, and also beverages. One of the top features to look out for is the 30-second function that lets you set faster cooking times. It has a compact size. Thus, it is ideal for smaller apartments.
- Compact size.
- Auto-defrost setting that comes in quite handy.
- Comes with a child-lock feature ensuring safety.
- It has 9 auto cooking menus making cooking convenient and simpler.
- It doesn’t have an energy-saving mode.
3. Khind 28L Electric Oven
If you are looking for excellent functionality at an affordable price, look no further than Khind 28l Electric Oven. It has a vertical and unique square design. So, it takes up less space than the other microwaves.
- A large capacity of 28 liters ensures you can fit in a whole chicken or an 8-inch cake.
- Takes lesser space than the other ovens.
- Available at an affordable price.
- Might lack some additional features.
4. Panasonic 25L Microwave Oven
This is another popular model that you will come across in Malaysia. It is compact enough not to consume too much space. The oven has 9 automatic menus. Just press a button and it is automatically going to set the power and time for you.
- 9 automatic menus make it user-friendly for beginners.
- Compact to keep anywhere in the kitchen.
- Add time function lets you customize the additional time for perfecting a dish.
- Lacks many advanced features.
5. Electrolux 30L Microwave with Grill and Convection
This is a highly versatile microwave oven. It has an elegant and practical design. This is much more than just a microwave with its steaming, baking, and grill programs.
- It is large enough to fit a whole chicken.
- The microwave has steaming, baking, and grill functions.
- Consumes less power and is energy efficient.
- Takes up a lot of space in the kitchen.
6. SHARP Electric Oven
This is a stylish microwave by SHARP that comes with a convection feature. You can reheat and defrost using this microwave oven.
- It is large enough with a 25-liter capacity.
- Looks stylish and is ideal for all modern kitchens.
- The weight guide helps you set the time of defrosting.
- Does not come with many additional features.
7. Midea 20L Microwave Oven
The Midea Microwave is a 20-liter oven. It has a spacious interior that lets you fit bigger dishes. The oven offers a decent level of cooking and reheating. With the defrost setting, you can easily thaw in frozen food. This saves you enough time. Considering all the features, it comes at an affordable price.
- Affordable oven with defrost setting.
- 35-minute timer and the feature of auto shut-off.
- Easy to use even for beginners.
- The 255mm glass turntable fits almost all size dishes and is easy to clean.
- Doesn’t have a digital LED display
8. Butterfly 28L Electric Oven
If you want convection and rotisserie in one, this is the microwave you should get. It has a 20 L capacity. It has a crumbs tray and a baking rack. The microwave also has a built-in fan.
- Highly versatile oven with some great features.
- Comes with convection, as well as a rotisserie feature.
- Can be the best upgrade to your first oven.
- Is available at an affordable price.
- Might be a little smaller in size.
9. Toshiba 20L Deluxe Series Microwave Oven
The Toshiba microwave oven can be a great addition to your kitchen. It is an oven that is available at an affordable price and can do so much. The oven can grill, cook, and comes with 9 preset auto cooking menus.
- 9 preset menu allows for easier cooking.
- Comes with the dual function of microwave and grill for perfect browning.
- Has a deodorization setting that gets rid of the foul odors.
- Might be a little smaller in size for some.
10. SHARP Microwave Oven
This is one of the most popular microwave oven in Malaysia. Its 20L is enough for a majority of the dishes. The 255mm turntable ensures even cooking and heating. There are 2 auto menus and reheat menus.
- Looks stylish and modern for your modern kitchen setting.
- Has 5 different power levels.
- It has 2 auto menus and 2 reheat menus for your convenience.
- Comes with defrost function.
- Control buttons have small prints that are difficult to read.
11. Panasonic MICROWAVE OVEN 25L AUTO
This is a simple and stylish microwave oven by Panasonic that comes with a new handle design. It has a 25L capacity and 4 cooking modes.
- 4 cooking modes make it easier to cook.
- It is compact and sleek that can easily fit into your kitchen.
- The microwave has a modern and compact design.
- Takes time to get familiarized with the controls.
12. Electrolux 25L Built-In Microwave with Grill
This is a highly versatile microwave with a grill function. It is an elegant and practical oven. In fact, it is more than just a microwave.
- Comes with steaming, baking, and grill programs.
- It has a modern and sleek design.
- This is a versatile microwave oven.
- Doesn’t have too many features.
13. Cornell Electric Oven (50L) with Inner Light
This is an oven with a 20L capacity. It has a defrost setting. The push-button door makes it easier to use.
- Comes with a 35-min timer that makes it easier to use.
- It has a defrosting feature.
- Has a modern and sleek design.
- Available in only one color.
From this microwave oven Malaysia review, you know the top microwave ovens that you can choose from. Buying a good oven will widen and improve your range of cooking skills. But, it is always good to know what you want as it will help in getting the perfect oven that matches your needs.
In case you are looking for budget options, SHARP Electric Oven might be your best microwave oven Malaysia. Even though it comes at an affordable price, it has various useful features. However, if the price is not a factor and you are looking for an item with the best features, opt for Samsung 28L Convection Microwave Oven.
1. What Wattage Microwave Should I Get?
Microwaves usually have a power rating of 600-1500 watts. More watt leads to more heat and lower power implies longer cooking time. In case you cook food in larger quantities, go for a microwave with a higher power. Nevertheless, a difference of 100 wattages doesn’t really matter.
2. Which Microwave Oven Is the Best?
The best microwave oven on this list is Samsung 28L Convection Microwave Oven. It comes with Healthy Steam and HotBlast technology along with 16 different programs that ensure quick cooking. However, it might be a little expensive.
3. Which Brand of Microwave Is the Most Reliable?
Samsung is one of the best brands available in Malaysia. The microwaves from this brand boast some brand new features. With this, you can enjoy a fuss-free and premium cooking experience.
4. How Do You Clean a Microwave?
To clean the inside of the microwave oven, fill-up a microwave-safe bowl with water and add a tablespoon of vinegar to it. Heat this for several minutes in the microwave. The inside should get steamy without the water boiling over. Allow the mixture to cool before opening the door. Take out the turntable to wash it in the dishwasher or by hand.
The exterior of the microwave should be wiped regularly to remove fingerprints, cooking residue, and everyday grime. Use an all-purpose cleaner to clean the exterior.
5. How Long Should a Microwave Last?
An average microwave oven lasts for about 7 years with normal use. However, it can last even less with poor maintenance and heavy use. If you have a large family, you might find yourself replacing your microwave every 4-5 years as it is used more to cook, defrost meals, or heat leftovers.